Friday, February 27, 2009

Different Names For The Same Thing

Was staring at the blank page when this song started to play and realized thats what i wanted to say -

Alone on a train aimless in wonder
An outdated map crumbled in my pocket
But I didn't care where I was going
'Cause they're all different names for the same place.

The coast disappeared when the sea drowned the sun
And I knew no words to share with anyone
The boundaries of language I quietly cursed
And all the different names for the same thing

There are different names for the same things
There are different names for the same things...

and you know whatever you call it, how much ever you dress it up, shit will remain...well shit!

4comentarios:

Blogger Abirami Rajendran said...

I don't know,the lines somehow sounded happy to me.Not exactly happy,but more like a bit hmm,expansive.

The last line summary sounded like vexation :D

Monday, 02 March, 2009  
Blogger Frank said...

That's the problem with song lyrics. Can they live outside the music and stand on their own as poetry? What about the singing and instrumentation, doesn't that color the meaning? As far as what the song means to anyone tends to depend on the person, and your interpretation may not even be what the author intended. The songwriter could just be putting together words that sound good together.

I have emotions attached to songs which have less to do with the lyrics and more to do with past events I have associated with the song. That could explain why covers of a song, even the original version may not feel the same as the one you have attached yourself to.

So, we don't know. I do know that people tend to not agree on song meanings and would rather the author explain what it was all about. Other people's thoughts on the song.

Monday, 02 March, 2009  
Blogger Frank said...

On second thought I'll leave you with a song that for some reason always cheers me up. I especially like the lyrics:

If it don't feel right you don't have to do it
Just leave a message on the phone and tell them to screw it
After all is said and done you can't go pleasin' everyone
So screw it...

It reminds me I'm in control and have options.

arrivederci

Tuesday, 03 March, 2009  
Blogger Puthali said...

@Abirami - the last line wasn't a summary 'n yea you are right it was more or less a vexation :)
@Frank - yep, i agree how you interpret a song is completely upto you, and sometimes each time you listen you may come up with new interpretation depending on your mood, situation...
and thanks for the song, it lifts you up...

Friday, 20 March, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home